“Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.” - Pema Chodron
The Anxiety Counselor as she is commonly referred to, Andrea Addington, MSW, RSW has a private practice in Moncton, N.B. where she specializes in counselling both Teens & Adults with Anxiety Disorders such as GAD ( Generalized Anxiety Disorder), Social Phobia and Panic Disorder as well as issues pertaining to low self-esteem and self-care counselling.
Andrea has an extensive background in the mental health field. Prior to opening her own private practice in June 2013, she spent many years working on both the Adult and Child/Adolescent Mental Health Units at the Moncton Hospital. She is a Certified Anxiety Specialist from the National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists (NACBT).
Andrea herself suffered with Anxiety from the early age of 6. She truly understands the agony that anxiety can cause and she has a real passion for helping other's learn to manage anxiety.
Andrea's approach is sincere, down-to-earth and compassionate. She is trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Emotion Focused Therapy, Solution Focused, Narrative Therapy and more. Andrea is a member of the Alliance Professional of Naturopaths and Naturotherapists and the New Brunswick Association of Social Workers.
Professional Facebook page:
Education and Training
- Master of Social Work, Dalhousie University
- Bachelor of Social Work, Dalhousie University
- Bachelor of Arts ( Psychology Major), Saint Mary's University
- Certified Anxiety Specialist, National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists (NACBT)
- Certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Specialist, Association for Advanced Training in the Behavioral Sciences
- Advanced Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy- ICEEFT
- Up And Down The Worry Hill: User-Friendly CBT for Anxiety in Children and Adolescents- Dr. Aureen Pinto Wagner via Dalhousie University
- Certified Children's Relaxation Teacher (CCRT)- ShambalaKids®
- Kids Have Stress Too Facilitator -The Psychology Foundation of Canada
- Certificate in Intensive Training in Brief and Narrative Therapy- The Hincks Dellcrest Center and Dalhousie University
- Certificate in Criminology, Saint Mary's University
Problem Solving: Parenting the Explosive Child
Level 1 Advanced Training by Dr. Ross Greene
Body Talk: Blending feminist and narrative approaches to treating eating disorders by Dr. Catrina Brown
- Effective Interventions
with Challenging Behaviors by Dr. Lorraine Fox
- Cutting Edge Understanding and Management of ADHD by Dr. Russell Barkley
- Assessment & Treatment of Children/Adolescents with Schizophrenia -
Association for Advanced Training in the Behavioral Sciences